Saturday, May 25, 2013

Frank Umont

Frank Umont was an umpire in Major League Baseball's American League from 1954 to 1973.  Prior to that, he was a guard for 4 years for the New York Giants football team.

Though he was born in Staten Island, he grew up in my childhood home town of Dunellen, New Jersey.

Here is his baseball card from the 1955 set issued by Bowman.




In the late 1960s and early 1970s, I delivered the local weekly newspaper to the house he grew up in.  His sister lived on the same block as my Aunt Jo and my Aunt got me a baseball personally singed by him.

He umpired in All Star Games as well as World Series Games in addition to regular season games.  He was also the umpire in the last regular season game played at Yankee Stadium in 1973 before it was remodeled.

He was the first umpire to wear glasses.

Frank passed away from a heart attack in his Florida home on June 20, 1991. 





No comments: